We are the Medway Children in Care Council, but like to be known as the MCYPC - Medway Children and Young People Council. Welcome to our pages...
What is the MCYPC?
MCYPC stands for Medway Children and Young People Council. We decided on changing our name to drop the ‘label’ of being known as ‘children in care’. But officially you may know us as the Medway Children in Care Council.
MCYPC is the voice for all looked after young people and care leavers in Medway – we want to help improve the lives of young people.
***SURVEY ALERT – WIN £20 BLUEWATER GIFT CARD***
MCYPC are carrying out a survey on the apprenticeships available to young people in Medway. Complete our quick survey for your chance to win £20 to spend at Bluewater and help us to tell Medway Council what they need to do to improve the job and career opportunities for you.
What Do We Do?
We Aim To Improve Your Lives...
- MCYPC is a forum where young people in Medway’s care can come together
- we meet with the Director of Children’s Services and other senior managers at Medway Council for formal meetings
- we discuss issues and concerns about the care system
- we suggest changes and help with future developments
We Encourage and Support You...
- share your views, stories and ideas about being in care or how it can be improved
- communicate regularly with you so you stay up to date with information
- invite you to activity groups and events so we can have some fun and make new friends!
- we also help to improve your own personal skills too!
Our Goals And Challenges
We like a challenge, so we set ourselves goals for improvements to the care system. We take our challenges to Medway Council and discuss how we can reach these goals together. Currently we are tackling the following:
Making it easy, accessible and affordable for us to have driving lessons
Council Tax Reductions
Lobbying with Medway to get Council Tax reductions for care leavers
Breaking down barriers and improving relationships with social care workers through sports and activities
Continuing to raise awareness of MCYPC and its importance in improving the care system
Our Young People
“I’m John, the new Participation Apprentice! I am the current chair of the MCYPC and my aim is to represent YOU and over 400 other children across Medway. It is important that we stand together and work with Medway Council to improve support for us, and for when we leave care.
For the duration of my apprenticeship I will do all I can to make sure you are all listened to, with the help of the YLF team and MCYPC.
If you have any issues you would like to raise just let me know… I’m looking forward to meeting you and hearing from you all!” John
“My name is Hannah and I am the new Vice Chair of the MCYPC. I have been a member of the MCYPC for 3 years.
As Vice Chair I look forward to hearing other peoples views and opinions and helping make the changes that need to be made to those that need it, as well as sharing my own views.
I have enjoyed being a member of the MCYPC and meeting everyone involved. With the help of the MCYPC I have grown in confidence and I hope to do the same for others. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the MCYPC and I can’t wait to get more involved!” Hannah
“I have been a member of the MCYPC since September 2016. I have really enjoyed meeting and getting to know everyone.
I believe that every young person is capable of anything and I have thoroughly enjoyed achieving so much with you all and cannot wait for more exciting things coming up!” Karleigh
Not To Be Missed...
We’ll soon be launching a Blog for you! Stay tuned for updates!
Contact us to get involved with the training or interviewing of Medway professionals
Visit the IMO hub for all things care related from rights to life hacks!
Please view our most recent newsletter here
Our ‘Stigma’ campaign was re-launched following concerns raised from young people that they still experience stigma and discrimination due to being a child in care.
Watch our short film, produced the MCYPC to tackle this issue and educate others…
Working With Medway Council
The MCYPC continue to support Medway’s Looked After Children (LAC) strategy.
Our main objectives are:
- Additional and ongoing support for parents/families when children remain living or return to living with them
- A commitment to young people being kept in the same school to reduce disruption to their education
- Help young people access social and leisure opportunities and to ensure these are affordable
- Standard of social workers must improve and they must be motivated and trained to an acceptable standard
- There must be a certain standard that social workers are measured against and young people should be involved in spot checks and appraisals
The MCYPC are committed to monitoring the progress of this strategy and are keen to be proactively involved in future opportunities to do so.
What People Say
“I feel like I can speak up and everyone is listened to.” Council member
“Being a part of the Council gives me a focus. I have not had the best experiences of being in care and I am determined to help change the system so that others will not experience what I have.” Council member
“The meetings are useful to get our point across, plus its always good to see eachother and share pizza!” Council member
Join the MCYPC
Be a part of our Council and start making a difference
Check out our activity groups just for YOU!
Head here to contact us or send us your ideas or complaints